OklahomaSolo is meant to be a documentary of the opening of an Oklahoma Solo law firm. It is meant to satisfy the voyeristic, solicit advice, serve as a model for those who wish to do the same.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Yellow Pages, a good deal-of money


Yellow Pages - I've recently gotten a few quotes from ATT Yellow Pages (formerly SWBYPS). In order for people to let thier fingers walk to my name it is gonna cost. Yellow page rates have jumped drastically over the past few years and competing phonebooks in many area haven't seemed to to calm the market. Hardened salespeople sell these ads and don't call unless you are ready to talk turkey...and money.
In Stillwater, I was informed that they "sell" that book in the fall with an ad deadline around October 1st. The book hits doorsteps on Dec. 1 and is good for 1 year.
They typically sell ads on a 12 month contract, (to avoid sticker shock).
PRINT COSTS:
Just By virtue of having a phone number...you will be in the yellow pages free! Remember that. And if you last name starts with an "A" then you will be near the front. So ha!
PER month prices
- Dollar bill size ad (1/4 page) $83.00 B/W $121.00 Color
- Full Page size ad $801.00 b/w $1042.00Color
- Dual Page ad: $1843.00 Color only
This is a ton of money. My friends/sources tell me that advertising pays. Just keep in mind that if you pull out a $1000.00 per month ad you just took a first year salary 12,000 dollar haircut.
NOTE: these rates are negotiable. This are the "MSRP" rates. The salesperson will be working off commission. A well placed bunt may get you to 2nd base.

ONLINE COSTS:
SWBYPS' "Smart Pages" are online yellow pages that people search just like a book.
Cost: about 25 dollars a month.
Skinny: The sales rep told me that last year approx. 1800 people searched the Stillwater Smart pages for Attorney. I'm not exactly sure as to the value of this medium. Personally, I'm going to pass and put my money into my website.

ONLINE ALTERNATIVES:
You can pay Google/Yahoo/MSN et. al. to have your domain "rise to the top" on thier search engines. This costs money. But I've a friend who does more Oklahoma internet marketing than anyone and he tells me that the business is coming in faster than they can take the money.
This takes time/money/ and internet sophistication that I believe is unavailable for most aspiring solos...but hey, your call. Comments on cost of this type of advertising are especially welcome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know there's always the old fashioned "google washer." Like Eddie, I also tend to ignore the google ads. However I'm always interested in the top hits:
A Google washer is a certain attempt to influence the ranking of a given page in results returned by the Google search engine... Due to the way that Google's PageRank algorithm works, a page will be ranked higher if the sites that link to that page all use consistent anchor text. A Google washer is created if a large number of sites link to the page in this manner. (from Wikipedia)

Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:29:00 PM

 
Blogger projectsolo said...

Hi Luke,

I just found your site, I am a solo in the process of starting my practice. I just posted an anecdote on my blog from one attorney who found it helpful to post his web site in the yellow pages ad. Something to think about if you go in that direction.

PS

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 8:00:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter
Free Website Counter