OklahomaSolo is meant to be a documentary of the opening of an Oklahoma Solo law firm. It is meant to satisfy the voyeristic, solicit advice, serve as a model for those who wish to do the same.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Commuter News


Commuter news:
Belle and I have been having some gut wrenching talks lately about moving to Stillwater at the end of the semester. This presents some pros and cons. Since I'm kinda glass half empty minded, let's start with the negatives.

Cons:
1.Commute: The drive from TU to Stillwater is 1.25 hours. I've still got to take 7 hrs this summer and 15 in the fall to graduate early so it would be a lot of commuting for me. The gas money could potentially bankrupt me, plus if my '95 Ranger falls apart I would be hard to replace it.
2.We really like Tulsa, friends, shopping, umberto's pizza, etc.
3.We really like our house. We have a great landlord and a bunch of herbs/vegetables that are wondering if we are going to plant them.
4.We are in the middle of our lease.
5.I have no idea where we would live in Stillwater. We already have a place to move next year...but I'm unsure if it could be avail. This summer.
6.Rent would probably increase. And I don't like paying more money.
7.No one has a job in Stillwater...(I hear jobs are helpful for those of us w/o monthly trust fund payments).

Pros:
1.Living in Stw would help us get our network together and finally feel settled.
2. While commuting I can listen to 3hrs of NPR a day. Did I mention that I love public radio?
3.Allow me to gain some experience in the courthouse there. (I just sent my resume to a title company and the DA's office.---keep your fingers crossed).
4.Belle has applied for a few jobs, since she has worked in Stw for about ten years she has some contacts there who can help her.
5.My family is there. The Anthonys are such a prolific group in Stillwater, that there is practically an unincorporated “Anthony Foundation – Anthonys helping Anthonys” and I like the social/support system that accompanies a large family.
6.Fishing. Family pond/horses...barn karaoke (for my karaoke addicted Belle). It is fishing season and my father in law just gave me about a hundred bucks worth of tackle that is just sitting in my closet, (not many farm ponds around 31st and Harvard).

Anyway, we've decided to move as soon as one of us gets a job paying enough money to pay our bills. But we are going to have to time this thing just right or we will spiral into financial ruin. I've quit my job in the PD's office so the apron strings have been cut. Stay tuned to see if we sink or swim!

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke Anthony said...

John, Thanks for your post. I share your concern about the barbri chapter in my life being too hectic. Thankfully, my barbri rep assures me that they commonly do a video course via USPS in lieu of going to the barbri classes (which often consist of watching videos in groups). This way I should be able to watch the same videos at my pace, controlling the tempo. Good luck to you John...when you get your blog up and running let us know and we will link you here at OklahomaSolo!

Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:22:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counter
Free Website Counter